This week I user-tested using nominal group technique to build graphs.
Idea: Mapping using Nominal Group Technique
Nominal group technique is an ideation methodology I’ve been using for several years. The basics are:
- Participants silently ideate
- Moderator deduplicates ideas
- Everyone votes on ideas
I was targeting the following concepts in my implementation:
- accessibility and inclusion
- collaborative ideation
- emergent knowledge
- conflict avoidance
- The idea worked well with describing communities, but didn’t translate as well with generating design solutions
- Seems to only work well when participants have a lot of shared knowledge about the topics
- I had difficulty coming up with prompts / questions to answer
- Participants enjoyed using the pair-wise matrix more than drawing lines
- Participants really enjoyed the graph visualization, were surprised by the results, and wanted to continue discussing the results
I need a better method of generating the prompt for a group or build out use case scenarios.
I’m also considering the option to limit the number of votes.